Florida "Farm to School" Program
The Florida "Farm to School" program is an initiative seeking to bring nutritious, fresh food from local farms to schools including K-12, colleges and universities.
Every year, Florida schools spend millions of dollars for fresh produce. The Farm to School program is intended to open the door for more of those dollars to stay within Florida. It will also support Florida farmers by promoting opportunities for schools and growers to work together to increase the volume of locally grown product that is served in school cafeterias and dining halls. Incorporating locally grown products into school meals also supports local economies, reduces transportation costs, and helps to preserve farms and farmland.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will work with the schools and the growers to make sure each side is aware of mutual business opportunities available through this program. This web site is intended to provide information about: the availability of fresh Florida produce; the fruit and vegetable needs of schools; and contact information for both the schools and growers.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will not be a part of any agreement between the schools and growers/producers. All contracting is between the school and grower/producer and must comply with all federal and state regulations.
"Farm to School" Program Tools
- Participating Florida Schools
- Participating Florida Growers/Producers
- Participating Distributors
- Join the Program: Florida Schools
- Join the Program: Florida Growers/Producers
- Join the Program: Distributors
- Tips for Farmers on Doing Business With Schools
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Sample Contracts with Schools
Related Topics of Interest
- What's In Season Now
- Seasonal Availability of Florida Produce
- Resource Guide for Bringing Local Food to Local Institutions
- USDA Non-Discrimination Statement
- USDA Procurement Policy
- Florida Procurement Policy
- USDA Farm To School Policy
Related Brochures and Publications
- Farm to School Implementation Handbook
- Food Safety and Liability Issues
- Food Safety and Liability Insurance Brochure for Small Farms
Links to Related Web Sites
- University of Florida Food Safety
- University of California Davis GAP
- County Cooperative Extension Service
- How to Get Food Safety / GAP Certified
- USDA, Food and Nutrition Service, "Eat Smart, Farm Fresh!"
- USDA, Child Nutrition Service, Farm to School Initiative
- National Farm to School