Commissioner Adam H. Putnam

Florida Agriculture: 500 Years in the Making

Agricultural Dealer's Licenses

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. My suppliers of agricultural products say I need something from your office before they will sell me agricultural products for resale. What do I need?
    If your "supplier" is a Florida producer or acts as an agent for a Florida producer and you purchase agricultural products for resale and pay for such purchases with other than US cash currency or a cash equivalent (money order, cashier's check, wire transfer, electronic funds transfer, or debit card), you must be licensed and bonded as a dealer in agricultural products.
  2. What products are covered by the law?
    Every agricultural product grown in Florida, except citrus-other than limes, tobacco and sugar cane.
  3. What is the purpose of the law?
    To facilitate the marketing of Florida agricultural products by encouraging a better understanding between buyers and sellers and by providing a marketplace that is relatively free of unfair trading practices and defaults.
  4. What do I need to obtain a License and how much does the license cost?
    A license application (Form DACS-06302) must be completed. The applicant must pay a license fee and provide a surety bond or certificate of deposit. The minimum bond or certificate of deposit requirement is $5,000 and maximum requirement is $100,000 depending on the volume of purchases covered under the law. Specifics for determining bond requirements and license fees required are found on the reverse side of Form DACS-06302.
  5. Are there any exemptions to this law?
    Yes, there are four specific exemptions to the law:

    -- Farmers or groups of farmers in the sale of agricultural products grown by themselves.

    -- A dealer in agricultural products who pays at the time of purchase with United States cash currency or a cash equivalent, such as a money order, cashier's check, wire transfer, electronic funds transfer, or debit card.

    -- A dealer in agricultural products who operates as a bonded licensee under the federal Packers and Stockyards Act.

    -- Dealers who purchase less than $1,000 worth of agricultural products from Florida producers or their agents or representatives during the peak month of such purchases within the calendar year.
  6. I think I am exempt from the law based on my volume of purchases but would like to verify my exemption. What should I do?
    You may request that we assist you in the audit of your records to verify/confirm your exemption.
  7. I am interested in purchasing and reselling produce. Do I need an agricultural dealer's license?
    Under the Florida Agricultural License and Bond Law, any person, partnership, or corporation doing business in Florida by buying, receiving, soliciting, handling, or negotiating agricultural products from Florida producers or their agents for resale or processing for sale must be licensed by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
  8. Do you write agricultural bonds?
    No, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services does not write agricultural bonds. Below is a list of surety bond brokers who have assisted agricultural dealers in obtaining bonds. The Department does not recommend any one of these brokers over another, and there may be other brokers in Florida that you would like to contact. This is simply a list of brokers that we know have dealt in the area of agricultural bonds.

    Surety Bond Brokers
    Bond Broker Contact / Email Location Phone Web
    Bonds Express Surety Company Ralf Rigo 1937 Teall Ave.,
    Syracuse, NY 13206
    1-800-331-5453 Web
    Bond Ability Inc. 106 Whispering Pines,
    Birdsboro, PA 19508
    1-800-818-3940 Web
    DBL Surety, LLC 1500 Beville Road
    Suite 606 #311
    Daytona Beach, FL 32114
    (386) 316-2547 Web
    JW Surety Bonds Rick Bredow 6023A Kellers Church Road,
    Pipersville, PA 18947
    1-888-592-6631 Web
    Lance Surety Bond Associates, Inc. Victor Lance 4387 Swamp Road, #287
    Doylestown, PA 18902
    (877) 514-5146 Web
    Nations Insurance Group Angie Jones 1217 Miccosukee Rd.
    Tallahassee, FL 32308
    (850) 878-7195  
    The Prosure Group, Inc. David B. Shick 7217 Benjamin Rd.
    Tampa, FL 32634
    (813) 243-1110  
    Security Bond Associates, Inc. Burton Harris 10131 SW 40th St.
    Miami, FL 33165
    (305) 552-5414  
    Smith Insurance & Bonds 10501 Six Mile Cypress Pkwy
    Suite 110
    Fort Myers, FL 33966
    1-866-976-2185 Web
    Surety Specialty Group Post Office Box 600962
    Jacksonville, FL 32259
    1-800-639-4958 3514 I-70 Dr. SE, Suite 102
    Columbia, MO 65201
    1-800-308-4358 Web
    Worldwide Insurance Specialists, Inc. 2424 W. Missouri Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85015
  9. My company has changed locations and I need to change the address for our bond. What do I do?
    Please send notification of your new address on your company letterhead to the address listed below. Please include your file number in the subject line of your letter.

    Bureau of Agricultural Dealer's Licenses
    407 S. Calhoun Street, Suite 208
    Mayo Building, M-38
    Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0800
  10. How can I find out if there are any claims filed against an agricultural dealer licensed with the State of Florida?
    For a list of Florida agricultural dealers that currently have at least one outstanding claim for non-payment filed against them, call the Bureau of Agricultural Dealer's Licenses at (850) 617-7150 or use the online searchable database.
  11. Can I file a claim against an unlicensed agricultural dealer? I delivered my products to the company in question but never received payment.
    You can file a claim against an unlicensed dealer; however, since there is no bond against which the Department may proceed on your behalf, the chances are very slim that we would be able to assist you in recovering the costs for your agricultural products. We recommend that you do business only with dealers that are licensed and bonded.

Back to Top

Return to Agricultural Dealer's Licenses