Agricultural Commerce, Business Development and Marketing
Classifying Property as Agricultural For Property Tax Purposes
By having their property classified as agricultural for property tax purposes, farmers receive reductions in their property tax bills. Farmers receive blank agricultural classification renewal cards in the mail in early to mid-January from their property appraiser.
Under a 2002 law, farmers who don’t fill out and send in their green agricultural-classification cards could be throwing away their tax benefit. Under the new law, farmers must actively certify to property appraisers that they are entitled to the agricultural classification. If they fail to fill out and send in the DR-499C application or an application provided to them by their local property appraiser, the applicant may lose the tax benefit they receive from their agricultural classification.
To receive a DR-499C agricultural classification application form, contact your property appraiser. Information on how to contact your property appraiser is available in the Government Listings (the Blue Pages) of your local telephone directory or by visiting the Florida Department of Revenue website.
- Chapter 70.001, F.S.
- Chapter 70.51, F.S.
- Chapter 163.3162, F.S.
- Chapter 193.461, F.S.
- Chapter 193.625, F.S.
- Chapter 373.4592, F.S.
- UF-IFAS Handbook, Taxation and Property Rights Related to Agricultural Lands
- DOR Form DR-482 Application for Agricultural Classification of Land
- DOR Form DR-482HW Application and Return for High-Water Recharge Classification of Lands
- DOR Form DR-499 Renewal Application for Agricultural or High-Water Recharge Classification of Lands
- DOR Form DR-499C Renewal and Certification of Agricultural Classification of Lands
- DOR Form DR-499AR Automatic Renewal Receipt for Agricultural or High-Water Recharge Classification of Lands
- DOR Contact List for Property Appraisers in Florida
Contact the Department of Revenue About Agricultural Land Classification
Florida Department of Revenue
1379 Blountstown Highway
Tallahassee, Florida 32304-2716