Skip over navigation
Division of Marketing and Development
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Mayo Building, M-9
407 South Calhoun Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0800
(850) 617-7300

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Adam H. Putnam, Commissioner

Range Manager

Range managers care for our country's vast rangelands. From those lands, they produce a sustained yield of such things as plants for forage, red meat, wildlife for aesthetics and hunting, and clean water.

Range managers work for federal and state agencies, colleges and universities, private industry, and on foreign assignments. Those working for federal or state agencies may plan and direct public and private land use. Others are researchers, teachers, and extension agents with colleges and universities. Private industries hire range managers as ranch managers, agricultural product sales and service representatives, land reclamation specialists, and environmental consultants.

To be a range manager you need a bachelor's degree in range science, management, or ecology. Take courses in range science, agronomy, animal sciences, biology, botany, chemistry, ecology, economics, forestry, hydrology, recreation, soils, statistics, and wildlife. You need a graduate degree if you plan to do research or teach, and if you want to, advance in some fields.

In high school, take courses in biology, chemistry, speech, English, math, and zoology. Experience in agriculture (4-H and FFA) is desirable.

-- Donald R. Kirby, North Dakota State University

Get Adobe Acrobat Reader