Ground Beef-Potato-Cheese Pie
Placed 3rd in the 1997 Florida Beef Cookoff
|1- 1/2 pounds ground beef (96% lean ground round)
2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
(8 oz. package)
3 cups (12 oz. package) chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
|1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups shredded potatoes (1/2 26 oz. frozen package)
1/2 pound (8-oz package) Mexican four-cheese blend
1 tomato for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix thoroughly ground beef, bread crumbs, 1 cup of the chopped onions, eggs, salt, and pepper and press onto bottom and up the sides of a 10" springform pan (approximately 3/8" thick).
3. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. While beef is baking heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the remaining 2 cups of onion and the potatoes and saute for 10 minutes on medium high heat, turning to prevent sticking.
5. Remove beef mixture from oven and fill with the sauteed onions and potato mixture. Cover with cheese and return to 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
6. Peel tomato and roll the peel tightly to make a rose and place on center of the pie. Chop remaining tomato and apply as garnish around edge of the pie.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.