- Select a symmetrical watermelon. If necessary, cut a thin slice from the bottom of the watermelon so it sits level.
- Draw a straight line (just above the middle) lengthwise around the watermelon for the baskets edge.
- Draw a handle diagonally across the top as shown in the photograph.
- Draw a bow as shown on the photograph so that one edge of the bow is connected to the baskets edge.
- Cut and remove the top sections leaving the handle and the bow intact.
- Scoop out the flesh from inside the watermelon leaving a trace of red.
- Drain the watermelon before filling.
Courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board